Job vacancy Research Associates & Senior Research Associates (Multiple)
Research Associates & Senior Research Associates (Multiple)
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization. Based in New Haven, CT, with offices in Washington, D.C. and worldwide, IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture. IPA has been in Ghana since 2008, and it is now one of IPA’s largest country offices, with a permanent team of more than 50 staff managing and supporting 30 active research projects.
Reports to: Research Manager, Research Coordinator or Deputy Country Director
Location: Accra or Tamale, Ghana
Length of Commitment: 1 or 2 years (renewable)
Desired start date: Various start dates throughout the year
Deadline to apply: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year
Job Code: RA/SRA-MULT-24012019
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a United States-based non-profit organization dedicated to discovering, and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor.
IPA seeks qualified applicants for Research Associate (RA) and Senior Research Associate (SRA) positions for various research projects to be based in Accra and Tamale, with frequent travel to remote field locations within Ghana. A Research Associate at IPA is generally in charge of one specific long-term research project, which can be related to various sectors, including education, financial inclusion, public health and agriculture.
IPA is recruiting Research Associates and Senior Research Associates throughout the year through a common application process. The shortlisted applicants from that common application process are then considered for any RA/SRA position that opens in the following 6 months. If you have applied to an RA/SRA position less than 6 months ago, you do not need to reapply.
For illustration purposes, here are specific examples of projects that are currently in preparation at IPA and which are expected to need a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate within the next several months:
The RA/SRA will assist the Principal Investigators in the design of survey instruments, coordinate surveyor training and surveying activities, be responsible for the collection of high quality data, perform data management duties, and ensure compliance to research ethics. S/he will also manage recruitment and finances for surveying and evaluation activities.
In particular, the RA/SRA will:
- Plan, conduct and lead field research activities including training field staff, team planning and logistics, and data collection;
- Conduct pilot survey exercises, provide feedback on field operations and survey instruments, and refine and finalize survey instruments in collaboration with the Principal Investigators;
- Provide quality control during the data collection and cleaning processes, and assist in preparing preliminary analysis;
- Ensure that research data and outputs are stored in a confidential and systematic fashion;
- Assist in the preparation of research reports, briefs and other documents for management, the Principal Investigators, donors and other external parties;
- Ensure close collaboration with implementing partners and other high level stakeholders involved with the project;
- Create annual project plans;
- Manage surveyors recruitment, training, management and evaluation;
- Assist in the enforcement of all IPA Ghana human resources and security policies;
- Develop and monitor activity-specific budgets for the project;
- Work with IPA Ghana’s Finance Team to keep detailed records of all project activities and establish systems to ensure the efficient disbursement and reconciliation of project funds;
- Directly supervise up to 1 permanent research or field staff; and
- Perform other work-related duties that may be assigned.
In addition to the duties listed above, individuals at the Senior Research Associate level may, depending on the needs of the project:
- Play an increased role in budgeting and financial management, including developing and updating a project’s operating budget and division across multiple grants, leading ongoing budget management, and generating and analysing financial reports for internal and external use;
Work with Principal Investigators on donor deliverables and other reports;
- Conduct advanced analysis of data;
- Engage with external stakeholders in the areas of program implementation, policy engagement, research dissemination, and other topics;
- Supervise some of IPA Ghana’s larger and more complex projects;
- Directly supervise 2 or 3 permanent research or field staff, with an eye on their professional development; and
- Perform all duties with an increased independence.
Required Skills or Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Public Health, Agriculture, Development studies or related field. A Masters degree is preferred;
- Fluency in written and verbal communication in English, and the ability to draft reports is essential;
- At least two years of experience in project management, preferably in relation to supervising, designing, and implementing data collection and/or field work activities, and managing teams of field staff.
- The ability to outline project objectives and to plan work in a structured and systematic manner in alignment with stated objectives, assessing progress and making changes to project plans to reflect changing timelines and field realities;
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel and email;
- Quantitative data processing and analysis skills. Knowledge of STATA is preferred;
- Curiosity and willingness to learn;
- The ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences including the Principal Investigators, the IPA Ghana management team, implementing partners, government officials, and field staff;
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting and financial management;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills and a strong attention to detail;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a diverse team and high level stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines, often with limited supervision;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Experience in education, financial inclusion, agriculture and public health research is a plus.
- Authorization to work in Ghana
Apply for this Job
We are glad to hear your comments about Research Associates & Senior Research Associates (Multiple) job vacancy:
More Job Vacancies
See all jobs